- How to reframe a huge failure into a learning experience – without just engaging in stilted, corporate doublespeak
- What Cal learned as a trader during the 2008 financial crisis that is applicable today to the situation with COVID-19
- How to balance the necessities of playing certain “status-seeking” games when growing an audience – without falling back into traps of relying on external validation for happiness
Check out the episode at the links below. If you enjoyed the episode, the best way to support the show is to share with your friends, so send them a link.
- Google Play
- Or stream here:
- If you’re enjoying the show, why not a leave a review? It makes a difference in terms of other people finding the show.
Check out more from Cal and The Great Unlearn here:
- [01:36] Cal transitioned from interest rate trading into fitness and was an owner of the Phoenix Rise in the National Pro Grid League – but only recently has he been able to view the failure of the NPGL through a positive light. Learn how.
- [07:03] So, what even was the NPGL anyway?
- [12:33] Why was Cal so hard on himself for losing money in the NPGL if he knew going into it that it was a very risky investment?
- [20:35] Reframing a loss – and not just engaging in sanitized corporate doublespeak
- [24:34] Cal’s personal experience as a trader in the 2008 financial crisis
- [34:33] Did the 2008 financial crisis offer any opportunities for individuals or systems to shift out of of any negative patterns? Were we able to learn anything from the crisis?
- [39:23] How being present at the Route 91 festival shooting in Las Vegas made Cal realize that he had been optimizing his life for the wrong things.
- [52:14] Why is external validation so appealing? And, why doesn’t leave us actually fulfilled?
- [58:14] How to “play the game” of building an audience – which requires chasing certain kinds of external validation – with the inner work of not needing external markers of success in order to be fulfilled.
- [01:12:42] The writing process for Cal’s forthcoming book – and how he hopes to share his message with people who are not just chasing external rewards, but are good at it as well.
Links and Resources Mentioned
- OPEX Fitness
- National Pro Grid League
- James FitzGerald
- Tony Budding
- Dave Castro
- Larry King
- Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
- “Inadequate Equilibria” by Eliezer Yudkowsky
- 2017 Las Vegas shooting
- Jordan Spieth
- Rickie Fowler
- Justin Thomas
- Michael Jordan
- Peyton Callahan
- Dr. Shefali
You May Also Like These Posts
I send out a weekly newsletter that includes any articles and podcasts that I've written and recorded, as well as other stuff (articles, podcasts, songs, etc.) that I've enjoyed. Sign up here to be added to the list.