Check out the episode at the links below. If you enjoyed the episode, the best way to support the show is to share with your friends, so send them a link.
- Google Play
- Or stream here:
- If you’re enjoying the show, why not a leave a review? It makes a difference in terms of other people finding the show.
Check out more from John, Make WODs Great Again and Make Pods Great Again here:
- Website: www.makewodsgreatagain.com
- Instagram: @makewodsgreatagain | @makepodsgreatagain
- Podcast: Make Pods Great Again
- [0:47] Quick summary of Todd’s op ed – and the ensuing controversy
- [3:29] John’s take on my article: What should and shouldn’t be considered an essential business? Also, John’s family’s background with CrossFit.
- [15:50] How are we defining “essential?” What are regulators thinking about when deciding what should and shouldn’t be considered “essential?”
- [27:30] How should we think about the trade-offs between the negative impacts of chronic disease vs the negative impacts of a spreading pandemic?
- [35:50] What do gym owners need to be thinking about as different states start to reopen? What is the potential downside risk of opening early? How can we prevent a second wave of infections and economic shutdowns?
- [45:49] What will be the role of ongoing government regulations? What will the regulatory burden be on smaller gyms?
- [54:20] How will members be thinking about getting back into the gym?
- [01:05:40] The social dynamics of getting roasted online
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Morning Chalk Up
- OpEd: One Box Owner’s Opinion, “My CrossFit Gym is Not an Essential Business” from the Morning Chalk Up
- John’s Instagram post in response to Todd’s oped
- At-Home Workout: Hops, Bent-Over Rows, Planks, Chair Dips from CrossFit
- Saxon Panchik
- Spencer Panchik
- CrossFit Cliffside
- Big Five personality traits
- Moral hazard
- “Endothelial cell infection and endotheliitis in COVID-19” from The Lancet
- Rethinking Our Assumptions During the COVID-19 Crisis with David Krakauer from the Santa Fe Institute
- “Bowling Alone” by Robert Putnam