Lindsey Love Jenks used to coach over 100 individuals on their nutrition. But, she realized there was a much larger market for something in between the individualized nutrition coaching she was offering and impersonal, unadaptable templates.
Lindsey spent a summer training at South Loop Strength & Conditioning in 2016 and – since then – has built and grown Macrostax in an impressive fashion.
Macrostax offers customized macronutrient prescriptions, as well as a meal generator feature. But, I was mostly interested in learning how Lindsey handles the psychological foibles of the individuals who are using the app – and how she’s built and grown her company.
Check out this conversation to hear:
- The common and damaging psychological traps that CrossFit athletes fall into with their nutrition
- How to lead and manage a technical team as a non-technical founder
- How to take user feedback and figure out what people really want – rather than what they say they want
- Google Play
- Or stream here:
- If you’re enjoying the show, why not a leave a review? It makes a difference in terms of other people finding the show.
Check out more from Lindsey and Macrostax
- Instagram: @lindseylovejenks // @macrostax
- Website: wwww.macrostax.com
- Pinterest: @macrostax
- YouTube: @macrostax
- [01:22] Moving from a high touch, one-on-one coaching environment to a more scalable coaching solution
- [06:24] Transitioning away from a more high touch coaching environment and maintaining consistency over time.
- [14:36] Seeing a hole in the market – and trying to fill it with Macrostax
- [18:54] Building an app and leading developers as a non-technical founder
- [27:32] Collecting direct feedback from clients – and understanding how to prioritize it.
- [32:33] Finding the appropriate trade-offs between specifics and flexibility in nutrition coaching.
- [35:48] Starting in the CrossFit space – then expanding outside of it. What are the differences in marketing and positioning?
- [47:58] What will the role of the coach be as machine learning improves?
- [55:04] What are the main priorities and next steps for Macrostax?
Links and Resources Mentioned
- Peter Diamandis – 6 D’s of Exponential Growth
- Papa John's Pizza
- Harris-Benedict Equation
- Orangetheory Fitness
- Travis Mayer
- Alexis Johnson
- Jessie Graff
You May Also Like These Posts
I send out a weekly newsletter that includes any articles and podcasts that I've written and recorded, as well as other stuff (articles, podcasts, songs, etc.) that I've enjoyed. Sign up here to be added to the list.